Sunday, February 19, 2012

Gluten Free Recipe - GF Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

At my house, breakfast for dinner is kind of a big deal. Do you know the feeling? I could spend hours in the kitchen, making a delicious meal, and when I finally get my family seated and served, the kids just end up wishing that I'd just made them pancakes instead. This is why, at least once a week, I don't even bother with dinner and instead, opt for brinner. Brinner makes life better.

When I'm feeling REALLY fancy, like today when we ate brinner for our one and only Sunday meal I plan to prepare, I'll make gourmet brinner. Gourmet brinner consists of Cinnamon Roll Pancakes.

Good golly, these are tasty.

I got the cinnamon goo and cream cheese syrup recipe from HERE.
And the GF pancake recipe from HERE.
But, as usual, I'll post the recipes here too.

First things first.
Start with your cinnamon goo and syrup before you make your pancakes.

Cinnamon Goo
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) hot butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Mix them all together and pour it into a plastic baggy. You'll snip off the corner and squeeze it into your cooking pancake. Like cake decorating. Or something.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of hot butter
3 oz. softened cream cheese
3/4 cup of powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla.

Wisk them all together and set aside to serve.

Easy peasy.

Now for the pancakes. This is totally my favorite GF pancake recipe to date. They're a tasty treat and they require no special GF flour cocktails. They're my go-to "i don't have anything to make for dinner" quick fix.

Just remember that...
1- buttermilk is a big deal. I've used regular milk and vinegar to substitute, and they just aren't the as big and thick and fluffy.
2- don't forget the baking soda! I did that today. Baking soda es muy importante.

Gluten Free Pancakes
1 1/2 cups asian white rice flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 T sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp, xanthan gum
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
4 T melted butter

You know the drill... wisk together your dry ingredients first. In a separate bowl, wisk together your wet ingredients. Then combine it all together, and let it rest for a couple minutes. The batter'll be good an thick, like so...


I had my iphone handy while I was cooking, so I have to apologize for the photos. Instagram was the best I was going to do today.

Pour the batter onto your hot pan or griddle. Since the batter is pretty thick, I have to spread it out a little when I pour it on. I've found that the batter has plenty butter in it already, so I don't butter my griddle again.

Once they start cookin' up, swirl in your cinnamon...


I should have put more. It's so good!

Then give them a good flip...


Yum. That cinnamon makes a mess. I have to take a paper towel and wipe down my griddle between batches, but it's worth it.

Then serve them on up, smothered in your frosting/syrupy goodness.


And enjoy.
I don't eat GF when my husband isn't around, but it is true that I haven't eaten a really good, homemade cinnamon roll in, probably, the better part of a year. That said, I have to confess that these pancakes totally, completely satisfy the emptiness I feel inside when I crave homemade cinnamon rolls smothered in cream cheese frosting... and can't have them.

1 comment:

  1. I made these this morning and they were fabulous!!! I only had the milk/vinegar combo and you were right they were nowhere near as fluffy as yours. For the flour I used 1 cup of oat flour and 1/2 cup of somee Hodgson Mill GF baking mix I needed to use up.

    I can't wait to try it the right way. Thank you so much for the recipes you share. You are a lifesaver!!

    ReplyDelete