Monday, March 5, 2012

Gluten Free Recipe - Meringue Macaroons

Fact: There are certain people in this world that LOVE coconut.
Fact: I am one of those people.

Last week, my sister and I had a hankering for some coconut, so she went to our local Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market and returned with a bag full of it. We were going to make macaroons, but never got around to it. Probably because I'm pretty lazy these days (being pregnant and all) and it takes a whole lot of motivation to get get me to do anything at all.

This week, my sister was hanging out at my house, dug out that bag of coconut and made the macaroon recipe on the back of it. And you know what? The recipe on the back of that Great Value bag of shredded coconut turned out to be a big winner!

I'm calling these Meringue Macaroons because they really have that egg white-y, crispy texture to them. There isn't ANY flour in them at all and as long as you have coconut in the house, you'll have everything you need to make them.

Meringue Macaroons

1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
2/3 cup sugar
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt

That's all. Serious.

Pre-heat to 325.
Beat your egg whites, vanilla and salt until you get soft peaks.
Beat in the sugar until stiff.
Fold in the coconut.

Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and lightly browned. And look forward to these....


The texture and flavor is really light crisp. We wanted to eat them with some sherbet, or sorbet, or something cold, and fruity, and summer-y. You must be warned, though. The sugar and egg whites are merely a vessel by which one can consume otherwise straight up coconut, so if you don't REALLY like coconut, these might not be the cookies for you.

My daughter grabbed one, took a nibble, told me they were good and then immediately retracted that statement and said "Actually, these aren't good. Can I put something on them? Like craisins?"

Oh well. More for me.


1 comment:

  1. Delicious. Lighter and fluffier than traditional macaroons.

    ReplyDelete