Thursday, March 3, 2011

delicious food that happens to be gluten free - Ranch Chicken

Apparently, I eat a lot of chicken, since this is the third chicken recipe I've posted in a row. I made beef the other night, I just didn't tell you about it. I can't give my mom credit for this one, though. It's a Pioneer Woman recipe.

I love me some Pioneer Woman. Her recipes are terrificul (I'm watching Ramona and Beezus tonight with my daughter and her friends, prepare yourselves). They are practical and delishus, although a wee bit heavy on the unnecessary calories. I generally cut her butter usage in half. Or more. Like this one... her recipe instructs us all to cook our chicken in a pan full of bacon grease and although I'm sure it tastes tasty, I can't bring myself to do it. I just can't.

Here's the link to her recipe. It's a good one, and it don't contain no gluten. Wait, that's a double negative. That would mean that it does contain gluten, which it doesn't.



I've followed her recipe exactly and found that I like taking a few calorie cutting shortcuts...

Marinade (it's the same)

1/2 cup dijon mustard
1/2 cup honey
Juice of one lemon
1/2 t salt
1/2 t paprika

Other ingredients you need

Chicken.
Bacon.
Cheese.

How can you go wrong?

This is great marinade. I use it all the time. You need at least a good couple hours to get it to sink in, overnight is obviously better.

After I marinade my chicken, I cook up some bacon on my George Foreman grill, throw out the grease, and grill my chicken. Then I top the grilled chicken with the bacon and grated cheese, or just grated cheese - if you don't dig on swine. I don't eat bacon anymore because my brother told me pigs have feelings and it cut me to my core. I'll never be the same.

Usually, I'll leave the chicken on the grill and let the cheese melt over it. If I feel like dirtying a cookie sheet, I'll broil it on low for a minute.

I love serving this with my family's all time favorite... twice baked potatoes. Those and any veggies I'm lucky enough to have in the freezer.


I would like you all to note that I didn't eat this plate.
I prepared it for my husband.
I could have eaten this whole plate.
And I very well did eat the equivalent... in 3 different little servings, plus whatever I picked on after I cleared the table and before I put the leftovers away.
But I didn't initially plan to eat this much.
Don't judge me.

I love Ranch Chicken.

1 comment:

  1. Love Pioneer Woman-the white enchiladas are on the menu this week, too.

    ReplyDelete