Tuesday, March 1, 2011

dining out GF - Sampan Chinese

Ok, first, I want to talk about soy sauce.
I need to vent.
I'm amazed at how many times I've read on the internet or heard GF eaters talk about how we can't use soy sauce. At first, I was concerned, myself. I mean, the second ingredient on my huge bottle of Kikkoman was wheat, but as I looked into it, I found that we can eat soy sauce!

Hooray! Let us shout for joy!

There's something about the way that it's distilled that leaves the sauce without detectable amounts of gluten. Right? That's good for me because I've turned a lot to Chinese cooking since we found out that we need to eat GF - half because I love Chinese food, half because they use a lot more rice than wheat, half because I love me a good China market and half because I love Chinese food.

Anyway, my sister in law, who also eats gluten free, uses it and my husband has never had a problem digesting it. If you have to deal with a wheat allergy, which we don't, it might be a different case, but as long as it's just an intolerance, it seems to be fine to eat.

That said....

Friday, I was lazy.
I don't like cooking on weekends. I love cooking, but we all need a break, don't we? It's a 'too much of a good thing' kinda situation. So I decided that for the first time in several months, we'd make an attempt at Chinese takeout.

My favorite place to get take out is Sampan here in Sandy, so I called and talked to the nice girl on the phone about what our GF options were. She told me that they don't use wheat in most of their dishes so as long as I avoided a brown sauce (because of the soy sauce) we should be ok.

I ordered us Kung Pao Chicken, Broccoli with Beef, paper wrapped chicken, egg drop soup and ham fried rice.

She told me that I couldn't get those because of the soy sauce in them. I told her that as much as I respected and valued her advice, I was choosing to ignore it.

Then my husband went to pick it up.
He didn't go to Sampan.
He went to Fong's.
Then he called me from Fong's asking why they couldn't find our order.
Then I told him he was at the wrong restaurant.
Then I felt embarrassed on his behalf.
Then I hung up the phone and didn't know whether to be mad or amused.

The food finally got here, a little colder than when it started, but whatevs. We ate and everyone was fine! Let us shout for joy again! Chinese takeout has re-entered my life. The one thing we didn't get for my husband was an egg roll because we didn't know if the papers had flour in them. I assumed they did, but sometimes we luck out. Does anyone know of egg rolls that for sure don't contain gluten? That would be magnificent.

So to sum things up...

let us all eat soy sauce.
and then shout for joy.
chinese food is good.
china markets are a great place to spend time.
confirm with your husband which takeout place you ordered from.
i want eggrolls.


No comments:

Post a Comment