Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What we ate for dinner - Hawaiian Haystacks

The day after we found out that my husband, Brent (who has, for personal reasons, decided to post in my comments under the pseudonym "svenhardicus"), had celiac, I was pleased to get a visit from some friends in our neighborhood. They have been eating GF for several years now and Nikkie totally got me started on the right foot. I will forever be grateful. They also brought us the most fantastic GF chocolate cupcakes with whipped strawberry frosting last Friday as Brent and I sat on the couch watching DC Cupcakes and wishing we had a treat. Oh my goodness.

Her best advice to me was not to look for GF recipes, but to find recipes that don't contain gluten or adapt my favorites. Golden advice. Golden, I tell you! She started a cooking blog the same week I did and that's where I got this recipe that we tried tonight for dinner.

I used to make Hawaiian haystacks on a regular basis, but my recipe called for cream of chicken soup, which calls for wheat, which calls for gluten. Her recipe for the GF gravy was delish. We all loved it.


Hawaiian Haystacks

6 Tbsp butter
1/3-1/2 C GF flour (the amount will depend on the flour, I use 1/2 C of the asian rice flour because it is so fine, but I use 1/3 C for any of my other flour blends. Just make sure the roux is thick enough when you are whisking it together)
3 C chicken broth
1/2 C milk
1/2 C half and half
2-3 chicken bouillon cubes for added flavor
1 1/2 C chopped, cooked chicken (about 2 chicken breasts)

Melt butter in saucepan on medium heat, blend in flour. This should be a big clump when combined. If it's too soft, you may not have enough flour to thicken the sauce later. Add chicken broth and smashed bouillon cubes and whisk until mixture thickens. Whisk in milk and half and half until smooth. Add chicken and a dash of pepper to taste. Don't forget to stir all the way through or the bottom will burn. Serve over rice, with desired toppings.

This sauce is the equivalent of 2 cans of condensed cream of chicken soup, mixed with 2 cans of milk.


Seriously, this recipe is WAY better than the old gravy I would make.

When I make Hawaiian Haystacks, I always like to put the toppings in my cute, mini latte bowls because it makes everything colorful and pretty and I'm shallow enough that it makes a difference to me. Plus, my kids like it.

There are so many good things to top them with. Try pineapple, mandarin oranges, coconut, green onion, cheese, tomato, bell pepper, celery, maraschino cherries or crunchy chow mien noodles. The noodles aren't GF though. They were there special for me. And my husband assumed that I had done my homework and was protecting him from gluten, so he started munching on them. Oops. Sorry svenhardicus. I won't do that next time.


2 comments:

  1. Looks good, I may have to try it. FYI I have a recipe for Cream of Chicken soup mix that you make yourself and, according to my friend who had a daughter with Celiacs, it can be made GF. If you want it, just email me at wanderingfam@gmail.com and I would be happy to pass it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so nice! I've been too busy to even look at my computer for the last week and a half but I'm happy I get to catch up with some new recipes from you.

    ReplyDelete