Friday, April 8, 2011

Delicious Food that Happens to be Gluten Free - Pretty Stinking Good Guacomole

So, I don't like guacamole. This is a true fact. I don't like avocados because there's something about them makes me gag when I try to swallow. I've spent a lot of years of my life pretending that I've got an avocado allergy to escape the inevitable criticism that follows when people see me avoiding the precious fruit.

Then, one day, my sister and brother in law took us to a Jazz game. I know. What's the connection to guacamole? I'm getting there.

See, my brother in law has a fancy job and gets fancy perks like box seats to Jazz games and in that box... there was this guacamole. It was amazing. It was unreal. I gorged myself on guacamole. The chips were merely vessels for guacamole because eating it with a spoon wouldn't have been socially acceptable. My sister had prepared me for it, so, in the event that I would want to recreate it later, I took note of the ingredients before they mixed it all together. I'm glad I did that. That was smart. I'm glad when I do smart things.

This is what I used....


2 avocados, peeled and quartered
1 diced tomato
1/2 onion diced
Juice of one lime
handful of chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp sugar


Here's the trick to this shtuff. DON'T pulverize your avocado. throw everything together on a large plate of platter or something else that happens to be wide and flat and with a couple of forks, just chop and stir it together. It makes such a yummy, chunky dip. I may have eaten it for dinner on Monday. And I think maybe I'll make it for dinner again tonight. My eyes have been opened and I hope that all my past avocado avoiding sins will be forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment