Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Gluten Free Recipe - Good Old Fashioned Pancakes

When we found out that we had gluten issues, the first thing we cried about was probably pancakes. Oh the sorrow! The misery! How does one endure a life without pancakes?
So I got to work looking for a way to make GF pancakes. I always make my own pancake mix because it's just better that way. Do you make yours from scratch? You should. SOOOOO good.

Our first attempt was a package that my mom bought for us. It was a package of Bob's Red Mill mix and quite frankly, it was downright tasty. It gave me hope! Hope, I tell you! But I can't afford to buy the mix and make them whenever we want pancakes, so I still needed to figure out a way to make them from scratch.

Then I used my old trusty recipe and subbed out the flour for rice flour. Mistake. Don't do that. They were some bizarre cross between pancakes and jello. Jello pancakes are NOT good.

Then I tried to sub out the flour for the Bob's Red Mill All Purpose flour, but I don't like the flavor of their all purpose flour, so it didn't work for me either.

Fourth time was a charm. I found this recipe through Land-O-Lakes' website and I didn't need to modify this one at all. Here's the recipe.

1 cup GF flour blend*
1 cup buttermilk OR 1 Tblspn. white vinegar with enough milk to make 1 cup
1 egg
2 Tblspn. sugar
3 Tblspn. melted butter
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt.

*GF flour blend is 2 cups rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca starch & 1 tsp. xanthan gum. Mix it all together and store any extra in the freezer for next time.

Mix 'm all together and scoop onto a hot griddle. I like mine at 350 degrees.

Their picture looked like this:


But I think that we can all see that this picture wasn't professionally taken and didn't look appetizing at all, so I took one of my own. With my point and shoot. Ya. I'm a totally amazing photographer. And with that disclaimer, MY pancakes look like this:


THAT, my friends, is a pancake. And a GF pancake at that.


And my kids love them. Me too. My daughter that doesn't have celiac will specifically request GF pancakes all the time. They are every bit as good as a regular pancake, when they're hot. I'm not so sure about when they cool, but they never last that long, so I guess it doesn't matter.

1 comment:

  1. These pancakes are legit. My Saturday mornings are now complete thanks to these delicious pancakes!

    ReplyDelete