Thursday, February 24, 2011

Delicious Food that Happens to be Gluten Free - Chicken Cacciatore

I love this recipe. LOVE IT, I say! So good. So easy. I feel so passionately about it that I posted it on my family blog a while back. It's gluten free and it doesn't even have to try. My mom got this recipe from her sister in law long enough ago that I was raised on it. Every time I make it, I make extra so that we can have left overs, but usually there aren't any.

Ready for it? Ok.

Chicken Cacciatore


These are the ingredients. All of them. Except that I forgot the rice and the chicken bouillon. And the smidgen of butter to brown the chicken. Sorry.

2-3 chicken breasts
1 T each of butter and olive oil to brown chicken
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 can of mushrooms
1 small can of tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. of chili powder
salt & pepper to taste

Heat a little olive oil and butter in a large pan. Salt & Pepper chicken (I like garlic salt because garlic makes the world taste better). Brown chicken on each side then add onion & cook until translucent. Throw in pepper, mushrooms (not drained), tomato sauce, chili powder, a little salt and pepper and perhaps a chicken bouillon cube, if you're feeling it. Give it a good mix, turn the heat to low, put a lid on it and simmer for around 30-45 minutes. Check seasonings at the end and add more salt & pepper if needed.

While the chicken is cooking, steam some rice. Maybe some broccoli, if you're healthy like that, or throw together a salad. 45 minutes later, pour your chicken and sauce over the rice and you've got yourself dinner.


This is what it looks like raw. I didn't take a photo after it was cooked because my mind was overcome with hunger and I ate it, but if you get to this stage and your pan looks like mine, you're on the right track.

Try it! You'll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment