Friday, March 25, 2011

Gluten Free Recipe - GF Apple Crisp

My sister first turned me onto this recipe a while back. In all fairness, I think that she makes it better than I do, but I don't really know how since she sent me her recipe and I follow it too. She's just got that magic touch. The ingredients are as follows....

From Allrecipes (just modified a smidge with salt, because it tastes better, and to be GF)
For the apples

  • 10 cups all-purpose apples, peeled, cored and sliced
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon GF flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp. of salt
  • extra fruit or jam, if you have any

For the top
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1 cup GF flour ( i use my favorite baking mix)
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted

1. Mix all your filling ingredients together and stick them in a pyrex.

2. Mix all your topping ingredients together and put them on top of the filling.

3. Put your pyrex in the oven and bake at 350 for around 45 minutes.

But if I left it at that, it would hardly be worth a blog post, so I will now subject you to viewing my 4 year old's documentation of our making GF apple crisp.


We started with Granny Smiths because they are tart, therefore, they are better.

Now, there are two ways to cut apples for things like this. The hard way and the easy way. I opt for the easy way. Just bear in mind that the easy way required me happening upon a apple cutter in an antique consignment shop and paying $17 to bring it home and incorporate it into my life.


Do you have one of these? The ones at Bed Bath and Beyond are worthless, don't bother. You need the old school kind that clamps onto the countertop. It was a total stroke of luck that I found one at that consignment shop, I'm not sure where you can buy them, but it's worth looking into.


So easy, a kid can use it! Actually, I had to help her. If you haven't used one of these before, they peel, core and slice the apples into a spiral. My kids like them for snacks. They call them apple slinkies. The skin is referred to as an apple noodle. It's not at desirable as the slinky, but they'll still eat them.


Sliced apples and apple noodles. See, wasn't that easy? That's what I like about the easy way. It's so easy!

Ok, now here's a note about the recipe. If you have any jam or preserves or other fruit that you want to throw in there with the filling, you should do it. Last fall, my sister came over to my house and spent ALL DAY making plum jam and plum sauce out of her 5,000 pounds of plums that she bought for cheap. We throw some into the filling because it makes it more better. Unfortunately, this time I opened a jar of plum jam and put in about 1/4 cup and then smelled something.... funny. The jam was either disgusting to start with, or it hadn't been canned properly and had gone rancid. Either way, I blame my sister for the amount of time that I spent scraping all of it out of the bowl. Ew.

Anyway.... If you have plum or raspberry jam that isn't rancid, put some in your filling or just some fruit, if you've got some.

Ok, now to the finished product.


Ta da! It's obviously best when served a la mode. Everything in life is better a la mode.

Just make sure that the juices of the apples are able to break through the topping, otherwise it doesn't get crisp. Sometimes, I'll open the oven part way through and poke holes in it just to make sure. Because if it isn't crisp, how can it be apple crisp?

Ok, there you are. Enjoy! I know I did.

1 comment: